The Blue Oval has announced that certain models of the 2018 Ford Mustang will come with a new, retro-inspired, Pony Package option.
According to the website Mustang360, the first time Ford added a Pony option to the Mustang was April 17, 1965. Back then, it was called the Pony Interior and it consisted of the following major interior upgrades:
• A five-dial instrument gauge cluster
• A wood grain insert surrounding the instrument cluster
• A unique wood grain-styled glove box door
• Special door panels with Thunderbird-style, pistol-grip door handles and lower courtesy lights
• Carpeted front kick panels with stainless steel trim strip
• Bolstered seat upholstery with running horses embossed on upper seat back
• Wood grain steering wheel
• Bright-trimmed pedals
• Vinyl-covered quarter-trim panels with bright trim cap (coupe only)
The Mustang360 site also notes that the current cost of just the materials to convert a standard interior 1965 Mustang (not a GT) to a Pony interior is roughly $2,300. In contrast, the base price of a 1965 Mustang two-door hardtop was just $2,372 while, in 1966, the interior décor group with a wood grain steering wheel, door courtesy lights, and pistol grip door handle had an MSRP of $94.13.
But that's enough tripping down memory lane. What about the latest Pony Package?
2018 Ford Mustang Pony Package
For 2018, the Mustang Pony Package - which will be offered on EcoBoost-equipped models - will include both exterior as well as interior enhancements. Outside, the changes include 19-inch polished alloy wheels, bright beltline and window trim on fastback models, lower body side stripes, and a tri-bar pony badge on the rear valance between the tail lights.
In addition, the floating Mustang logo in the grille surrounded by a "Corral," much like the original 1965 model, although this time trimmed by just the horizontal bars, where the original also had a pair of short, vertical bars, as well.
Inside, the only change – at least according to the press release - is a pair of carpeted floor mats with an ebony embroidered pony logo.
2018 Mustang Pony Package pricing and availability
The 2018 Ford Mustang is due to hit dealer showrooms this October. We suspect that prices, including that of the Pony Package, will be released closer to the model's on-sale date.